To download a free version of the Adobe Acrobat Reader
Program. Click here
The JCHA and the A. Harry Moore Resident Management Corporation (RMC) agreed, notwithstanding
best efforts of the JCHA, the RMC Board and staff, and the majority of site residents,
that the A. Harry Moore development meets the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban
Development's classification as a severely "distressed" site. The A. Harry Moore
development meets the distressed criteria due to a high concentration of poverty,
physical isolation evidenced by a high rise design that is incompatible with the
neighborhood and a rehabilitation cost that far exceeds available financial resources.
Over the past several years, the JCHA and A. Harry Moore RMC have taken affirmative
steps towards the comprehensive revitalization of A. Harry Moore that mirror HOPE
VI program objectives and the JCHA's efforts at the New Curries Woods and Lafayette
Gardens HOPE VI Revitalization Programs.
To forward these objectives, the JCHA and A. Harry Moore RMC have authorized the
initiation of Pre-HOPE VI Revitalization planning and preliminary action as follows:
- Relocation of residents from and demolition of four (of the seven) high-rise buildings
(344, 340 336, and 332 Duncan Avenue)
- Submission of applications for HOPE VI Demolition Program funds (to date $2.4 million
has been awarded for demolition of these four buildings).
- Submission of application for demolition approval of the remaining three high-rise
buildings (320, 324, and 328 Duncan Avenue). Application approved by HUD in early
- Relocation of residents from the above three buildings began in Spring 2007 and
was completed in April 2009.
- Earmarking $3 million in federal stimulous funding for the demolition of the remaining
three high-rise buildings.
- Hired Master Planner and Development Partner to develop a comprehensive revitalization
- Gloria Robinson Court Homes I development of 66 mixed finance, mixed income rental units on site. Construction completed January 2009.
- Gloria Robinson Court Homes II development of 78 mixed finance, mixed income units and community space on site.
Construction start summer 2008. Construction completion fall 2009.
- Hired Pemmrose Properties, LLC as developer partner to develop an additional 112
mixed income rental units on site and to demolish the remaining high-rises.
Demolition started scheduled for summer 2009.